So I decided to type up my scale of SKILL IN JAPANESE because apparently on a scale of "can play dating sims" to "can read philosophy" some people are like "??? I took a year of classes!" Which isn't that useful!
SO MY GENERAL SCALE:
- Can play dating sims. (pick the option that doesn't end in ない)
- Can understand a "purist"'s fansub of a shounen series. (JUST ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU why gods why)
- Can watch shounen series and understand what's going on.
- Can play Pokemon.
- Can read shounen series and understand what's going on.
- Can play Pokemon competently.
- Can watch shounen without actually guessing what's happening from the random engrish.
- Can read shounen without guessing from art and engrish.
- Can watch the news. (It's not like it's not in Engrish anyway.)
- Can order pizza.
- Can read light novels (no, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya doesn't make sense then, either.)
- Can order sushi.
... I'm bored now someone else continue with stupid benchmarks. "Understand keigo" and "Think keigo actually makes sense" are definitely somewhere on the list, though.
ALSO MY SCALE OF "CONTAINS ENGLISH":
- Something actually in English.
- A good sub or scanned translation of a noun that leaves things that really don't need to be translated untranslated and gives explanations.
- A "purist"'s translation that, as usual, leaves random words untranslated.
- Pokemon in Italian.
- Any remotely decent translation of Pani Poni Dash! or FLCL or anything else equally incomprehensible.
- Pokemon in Japanese.
- Shounen Jump series.
... yeah bored again.
Relatedly, my Japanese is maybe good enough to say "My hovercraft is full of eels," "I'm a mystery, maybe," "That is a secret," "I like cats," "Is this right?" "How much is the salmon roe?" and "I am the colour blue." ... so far I seem to be ending quite a lot of sentences with 'ne', 'da yo', and 'ka na'.
ETA: I AM JUST TRYING TO RANK THINGS IN DIFFICULTY. THIS MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AS TO MY ACTUAL LEVEL OF SKILL (I can play Pokemon and make a vaguely decent team. ... THIS IS ... NOT REALLY SUCCESS. [BUTTONSMASH BUTTONSMASH])